Monday, December 30, 2013

Day #56

     Another snow storm today in this, freezing cold, winter wonderland called Iowa. As Max and I were taking a ride this evening, and the snow was coming down... it looked like glitter falling out of the sky. It sparkled as it flitted across the passing headlights and landed on the road. Ahead of me it looked like glitter and diamonds everywhere.. beautiful. BUT... I am missing the warm air and sunny skies.
     Despite Max not feeling well, he wanted to drive around town, not going anywhere, just driving, like every other night, tonight however, he didn't want to go to WalMart. I feel so bad for him, he hasn't felt good since Christmas. Thankfully he rarely gets sick, but times like this are particularly hard on him... he refuses to take cold medicine or anything else. The most I can do is rub Vic's on his chest and let him sit in the steamy bathroom to calm his coughing.
     I wanted to talk about trust tonight. About a month ago, I was informed by the school district of a heartbreaking breach of trust. Someone that worked with Max had noticed when he was sitting down that his behind was showing because his pants had sagged. She thought it would be funny to take a picture of that, and send it via snap chat to other employees of the school.  The recipients of that picture went and told the appropriate people.  So I then receive a phone call from the director of special education, telling me what had happened. Needless to say, the person who took the photo is no longer working in the schools.
     I was devastated. Max loved her, and I thought she was wonderful, and loved knowing that he was happy going to school, and loved working with her. The most tragic thing to me is that we, as parents of kids with disabilities, always have to worry about bullying from other students.... never did I imagine it would be from an adult employee who is supposed to care about my child. I think that is the most tormenting thing to me. My sweet son, and others like him, who trust people, who are innocent of malice and cruelty..... who have to rely on adults to keep them safe.... are often times even disregarded by those who we trust the most.
     Max just had to go back to school one day and see that one of the people he loved the most, was gone... and I have to wonder how many days he looked for her to come back to class.... if he wondered where she was, or why she was gone. He was an unknowing victim, and so far as we can tell, knew nothing of that picture. For someone to knowingly disrespect my son like that, just sickens me. The worst kind of bully, is a bully that chooses someone who can't defend themselves, and an adult no less in charge of his well being, AND on the same week as the anti-bullying campaign at my school district.
     I struggle with trusting people when it comes to my sweet Max anyway, and when I look into those big blue eyes of his, I can't fathom why anyone would think it was acceptable to make a joke of him. Its very sad, when those you trust the most are those that end up betraying you and your child.

Until tomorrow...........

No comments:

Post a Comment