Saturday, December 21, 2013

Day #49

     Its snowing outside, and its time to take the dogs out.... I can't do it... not because I'm scared to fall down, but because I just saw something about The Walking Dead on the Internet. I had this vision of Zombies coming out of the woods beside my driveway. You know that feeling after you watch a scary movie and you're scared to go down the hall to the bathroom... or scared to turn on the kitchen light for fear Michael Meyers might really be standing there? Anyhow, sometimes those woods by my house are really creepy and when my dogs stand there and bark at the woods... kinda freaks me out. Jay is taking them out... what a sweet kid! He seems to think a zombie apocalypse would be fun... hmmmm.
     Tonight I was talking to Katie, and my friend in Oregon, also Mom to a 16 year old autistic boy.
Near and far away, our stories are so much alike. Currently we all are standing in the midst of financial ruin. Not a fun place to be for anyone, even more so at this time of year, but a place we are at none the less. I struggled with always talking about this because its embarrassing.... I never pictured being where I am, I never pictured having a 0 balance in my checkbook, but if I look back over the last decade... its always been a 0, and I am not alone. Its hard to change that when you live the lives that we live. For a lot of us, things can't be "normal" There is no 9-5, there's... work when schools in session, no nights, no weekends, not during holiday breaks, there is no overtime... no pension, no 401k, nothing.
     Its a scary thought. What will happen when we are all 65? Will we still be doing hard physical labor, still living hand to mouth? Still looking at the zeros in our bank accounts? We are smart people.... what is the one thing that is going to help us all? That is the 64,000 dollar question. Now I just need to figure out the 64,000 dollar answer.
     I know so many of us feel that anxiety, worrying about what's going to happen next, and hoping that whatever it is... we can handle it, just like we've handled everything else that's been put in our path. Some things like stepping stones, some like boulders... some like mountains... I'm not a good climber, I suppose this is another one of those situations where I just keep falling down..... but I manage to get back up. But still, we need to find the answer that is going to make things better for us, and for all the other Mom's just like us no matter where they are.
     If only pennies were 100 dollar bills! How fabulous would that be?

Until tomorrow..........
    










No comments:

Post a Comment