Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day #15

"What would Max love to do?"

I often wonder what life would be like for Max if I could just figure out autism. Would he like playing football? Would he be a daredevil racing his bike down steep hills? Would he like reading mysteries, or writing like I do? Would he play guitar, piano, have an interest in science or history? What would his bedroom look like if he was able to pick out the decor, who would he claim as his best friend? Would he be the most popular, funniest or teachers pet at school? Would he love fruity pebbles, corn chex, apples or ice cream bars? Would he help elderly people cross the street? Would he love the Three Stooges or Stephen King? I wish I knew.

I know everyone who has children has enjoyed watching their children learn and grow, watching their personalities develop and their interests change. I get to watch Max learn and grow, his personality change and interests change.... just not the way parents of typical children do. The little steps are huge milestones for him. It took so many years to teach him how to put his socks on and to dress himself, but when he finally got it, it was huge. The day he finally understood the phrase "Put on your seat belt" was so exciting. The day he was able to fill up his own drink at the gas station was so liberating for him. Finally all these little things other kids could do, he could do. I am so proud of him for these steps toward independence, and I know he is proud of himself.

Our language barrier is the biggest feat of all. Max appears to understand alot of what you say to him (receptive language) Expressive language ( him talking) is where we struggle most of all. He can't tell me despite an obvious desire to get his point across so often. This is something we work on everyday, at school and at home. I know we will figure out somehow what works best for him. My Mom always says there is room in everyday for a miracle. We still search for Max's. I think the progress he has made thus far is a miracle. Lets keep praying, and working toward that day that he can tell me everything that's been trapped inside for all these years.
Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment