Friday, January 8, 2010

Day #13

"We await tomorrow eagerly"

Tomorrow is the day Grandma comes to pick up Max for a few hours. He has been anxiously awaiting I'm sure. I'll pack the orange flowered bag in the morning and he instantly starts looking out the window for her little white car to pull up in front of the house.
Grandma is going to try to cut his hair tomorrow, a task that is near impossible, he is afraid of the scissors and it always starts a melt down. There comes a point however when we have to cut his hair anyway, it grows so fast and he has such thick hair.
Max has never.... yes I said never, in his 11 years, ever gone to to a barber shop for a haircut successfully. If you try to sit him in the barber chair he instantly panics and becomes combative, pushing, crying, trying to escape. It takes several people to hold him still, but is still impossible and given the fact that the barber has sharp scissors, it is to dangerous. So I haven't attempted it for a very long time. For the past several years I have been cutting his hair in his sleep, one side at a time. I usually get one side done on one night and the next side done the following night. He has spent many school days with half a haircut... we just grin and bear it. The teachers at school know how it works, and sometimes try to help.
I also clip his fingernails and toenails in his sleep. If something scares him, I do what I can to avoid the situation sometimes. He's been traumatized by the doctor already, why traumatize him with everything. I know there are some things that can't be avoided, but some situations can be put aside. I seem to modify most things these days. He is so strong I can't do alot of simple things for him without extra sets of hands, extra sets of hands that I don't have most of the time.
Tonight will be short as Max has woken up 5 times as I've tried to write this... tonight he is very restless. I don't know how much he will actually sleep tonight...and if I'll sleep at all. I started writing this at 8:30pm, it is now almost 1:30am and he is awake again. I'm holding my breath that he will go back to sleep, but it looks to be a very long night.
Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment