Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Day #25

Water Towers aren't always just water towers...

I had a revelation today, well tonight actually as I was driving down the highway headed home. The water tower sits off in the distance and lights below kind of illuminate it in the darkness. For some reason that water tower always makes me think of someone that was very special to me many years ago. Well he still is despite the fact that he has long since moved on from me. I met "Bob" many years ago not long before Max's diagnosis. I don't know what drove me away from him, if it was just fear, or if I just knew that my life would soon take a turn down a road I knew would be hard to navigate. All of these years little things have brought memories of my time with him back. I suppose I'm not good at letting go, but there was always something about him that was different, something that made letting him go more difficult than any one else.
Bob was the last relationship, however brief it may have been, before Max's diagnosis, before my life changed forever. He is my last window into my normal life, my old life, my less complicated life. When I knew him I was just a single Mom, there wasn't much drama really.
So letting go of him is probably something I will never do... I don't really want too. He reminds me of how things used to be and that is priceless to me.
That water tower off in the distance is like my old life off in the distance, I can still see it from wherever I am, but I can't reach it. Its lit up at night like memories light up my night sometimes.
So Bob.... Thank you for being my light in the darkness, I will always love and remember you fondly, and treasure the days with you from so long ago.
Until tomorrow......

No comments:

Post a Comment